Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Priority Rannoch: In Which I Get Mad At Bioware

 photo ran61_zpsbcf8497b.png

 photo ran62_zps2e8c2093.png

Well, hooray, then! Let's land this plane.

By the way, Legion is referring to Carl. Carl was apparently the reaper in charge of the geth. Knock out Carl, no one's controlling the geth.

This whole "oh my the geth are free" plotline works great until the other reapers realize that no one's watching the geth and another reaper just, like, moves in on the territory.

 photo ran63_zps2f29797f.png

oh gerrel never change

 photo ran65_zpse6350bc6.png

So Legion's just, like, as powerful as Carl now. Sure.

I thought the whole point of this was that the reapers were controlling the geth with upgrades, and that was bad. How the hell is Legion controlling the geth with upgrades any better?

 photo ran66_zpscae78549.png

oh ok

But Legion wouldn't ... be giving them free will ... ?

 photo ran67_zpsd78e1c39.png

 photo ran68_zps4b831969.png

NO OF FUCKING COURSE THIS UNIT DOESN'T HAVE A SOUL, HE'S A FUCKING ROBOT.

A fucking robot who wants to brain wash the other fucking robots. oooo Legion's done so much with his alleged "humanity."

This gets a lot better if you read it as, "Does this unit have soul?" Like soul train.

Besides, Tali's right, the geth could wake up and go, "Welp, time to shoot up some quarians." How is that a better alternative?

I'm going to get the super happy princess ending to this scenario but I'm not going to be happy doing it.

 photo ran69_zpsfc6f260f.png

Legion holds that ball and spins it around when he uploads. I don't know either.

 photo ran70_zps7a444f9c.png

 photo ran71_zps3fcf1625.png

Oh my God. I'm serious, this is the thing with the "soul" that people get all amped about: he's willingly mind controlling the geth and is just cool with some quarians dying because of it.

Didn't Shepard say, like, last entry that organics and synthetics don't have to destroy each other? And here Legion's all, "Hate it for you, I'm'a toast them quarians.

Yo, if you've done your homework, Shepard's dialogue wheel will pop up with blue and red options to end the scenario in everyone's favor. I'm pretty sure they both have the same outcome, even if the dialogue might be different.

To get the options, there are some conditions that seem to be pass/fail. Flunk one, and Shepard can't get the special ending. These are:

  • Shepard has to have four bars of reputation.
  • Tali and Legion both have to be attending, meaning neither one of them can have died in the suicide mission. Apparently this also requires an imported save from Mass Effect 2, because if you start fresh in ME3 Tali won't be an admiral and Legion won't be there at all.
  • You have to have done the mission Rannoch: Geth Figher Squadrons. You know, the one where we were in the geth consensus?
We have all that, so we're okay. Let's look at what the game checks on next.

The game wants you to have five points. Points are awarded as follows:

Thanks, Mass Effect Wiki!

Anyway, we've got 100% of all this shit, so we're primed for the good ending.

 photo ran72_zps4dbc4f09.png

 photo ran73_zps204f9775.png

I think that's why you had to save Korris, for that one line.

(It's so the civilians are behind you and blah dee blah dee blah.)

 photo ran74_zps3ca78394.png

 photo ran75_zps7fe2c736.png

 photo ran76_zpse35111cd.png

... so you've probably figured it out, but I've been spoilering out every major death that I can from this series. I mean, I even made this happen, so.

 photo ran77_zps5c2df27f.png

Yeah, but naw, fuck Legion. Can't die if you're not alive.

 photo ran78_zps4c138fde.png

 photo ran79_zps59fc09a8.png

 photo ran80_zps73f02595.png

 photo ran81_zps00bd8111.png

 photo ran82_zps17f6f89a.png

I mean, this is crazy. This is insulting. If you got sad or cried at this scene, I hate you.

Diaba helped me out some, but Legion didn't sacrifice shit. He just flew off because his planet needs him, if even that.

True story, once I lost my phone in a theater. I was totally sad over it, probably sadder than I should have been -- it was my first smart phone! -- but then I went to the Apple store and bought a new one. I was still bummed until I took it home, plugged it in, and discovered that "restore from backup" made my new phone exactly like my old phone in every way except maybe now the back was flat instead of round.

My phone is backed up to my laptop. My current phone has a battery problem, so sometime in the future, I'm going to go back to the Apple store and get myself a fancy new iPhone 6 with my upgrade that I use once a millenia. Then, I'll bring the phone home, plug it into my laptop again, and it'll be the same phone. My lock screen will still be my bunny, I'll have all the videos of the kids I work with, I'll have my twitter app and my Something Awful app and everything that makes my phone my phone.

That's Legion. That's what Legion is. He says it himself, he's a series of 1,183 processes, just like my phone is 16GB of of apps and pictures and MP3s. That's all he is.

You can't compare him to a person or an animal, that's awful. I'm serious, think about it. Think about the people you know right now. They have a favorite color (Husbando~'s is blue) and a favorite food (my rabbit is partial to lettuce) and a birthday (mine's November 1st.) You can't compare that to my fucking phone. It's a phone. It doesn't sing songs (my rabbit sings, that's a true story!) or make up stories get scared during a thunderstorm or get sick and throw up or any of the cool shit that living beings do. Do you know why? IT'S NOT ALIVE. NEITHER IS LEGION. GET OVER IT.

So no, no, this unit doesn't have a fucking soul. Bioware's presented exactly no evidence other than "we said they have a soul, so heave ho here we go." Meanwhile, you've got characters all around Legion who can drink or get angry or fall in love or do all that cool shit that living things do.

Bioware fucked up big time by not defining "alive" or "soul", which they should have done if they were going to make this argument. If they'd defined their terms, then said that synthetics were alive because they abided by said terms, they could have gone somewhere with this thematic material. As is, they don't prove their own thesis, and they really don't even provide a good reason for having the argument in the story.

I think we're supposed to ultimately decide Legion is alive because he sacrificed himself. But he didn't sacrifice anything. He's just chilling in the geth consensus, which is where he'd be if he wasn't in his body anyway, so who cares? He probably goes there when his unit goes on standby anyway. The only reason we're given for him not being able to restore from backup is "nope, sorry, can't." That's shitty. That's awful writing. Legion could come back if he wanted.

And "sacrificed" himself for what? He was going to kill the quarians! He was going to mind control the other geth! He was cool with that! That's not a sympathetic character!

Since I'm on a tear, we're supposed to begin to believe the same thing about EDI because she falls in love with Joker. How does she fall in love? She's given no autonomy in her own love story. Bioware gave her some tig ol bitties, Joker couldn't roll his damn tongue in his mouth for fifteen minutes, and she asked Shepard if that meant she was supposed to do the sex to him. That's also awful.

Mordin had a line in Mass Effect 2 about the reapers being a load of bullshit because they had no culture, no music, no creativity. That would have been a hell of a way to go for the whole "does this unit have a soul" plot line, and Bioware totally dropped it.

This pisses me off most of all because we have a hundred and fifty characters in the Mass Effect canon who were alive and sacrificed themselves for reasons far more noble than "I'm'a fuck them quarians up" and we're supposed to put Legion on the same pedestal. That's insulting to the other characters, it takes away from what they brought to the story.

God damn it, Bioware, fuck you.

4 comments:

  1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PMlDidyG_I

    A. I know it's not quite the same thing cause, (and this was your best sentence of the soliloquy), Bioware did not define its terms first. They needed to make the case before bringing down the gavel.

    B. I know it's not quite the same thing because Shepard-Commander, for all her strengths in humping anything that she doesn't shoot down first, is no Picard. Dat speech.

    C. I know it's not quite the same cause Data and Legion are not quite analogous, technical stats aside.

    D. I love this speech so I'mma pop it up there anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chris L'Etoile was the original writer for Legion in Mass Effect 2, and he left Bioware between 2 & 3. (He also wrote Thane, speaking of characters who got horribly botched.) I remember him saying that he specifically did NOT want to create another Data (this might be in the Wiki talk pages somewhere), and was trying to explore other ways for synthetic life to be interesting. I have a feeling he would be as disappointed with Legion's end here as you are!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The geth probably meet five of the seven standard scientific criteria for life, but fail on the other two: they don't reproduce (they are built) and they don't grow (once built, they remain the same size). In the other five respects (homeostasis, organization, metabolism, adaptation, response to stimuli) geth display characteristics consistent with life as we define it.

    Whether or not they're conscious is a much more interesting question. Is Legion a "collection of processes?" Sure. But so is the human brain. There's no real scientific or philosophical consensus on what it means to be a conscious being. I'd say a self aware machine with its own sense of identity is probably no less a conscious being than I am.

    ReplyDelete