Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Mission to Mars

And now we join Shepard, who is currently staring at her armor.

 photo mar1_zps2c3e87d7.png

It's all in parts on a table on the Normandy. See all the parts? I always felt like it must take 45+ minutes to get all that shit on. I don't put my Shepard in makeup in part to have some mercy on her.

 photo mar2_zpsc88b2c14.png

 photo mar3_zps81a74c52.png

BULLSHIT

He actually says that, isn't the world magical?!

 photo mar4_zps71546138.png

I am pretty sure you can order Vega off the ship at this point. I consider it every damn time, but I won't.

 photo mar5_zps87b900ca.png

Joker's got a priority message from Hackett! We need to get in on that.

 photo mar6_zps9693a7e6.png

Does this sound like it's going somewhere?

 photo mar7_zps99728d95.png

That's more or less the explanation the game's going to give you.

Husbando~ has a theory that yeah, Hackett and Anderson are both admirals now, but Anderson's like a rear admiral or something and the game never tells you, which is why Shepard's allowed to gleefully ignore her orders to go to the Citadel. The game doesn't think that hard about it, it's just, "Citadel! No! Mars! Okay!"

 photo mar8_zps4845c5a4.png

Okay, before we go on, we're going to have to talk about this: Vega will insert Spanish into his speech.

"Hey, Bean, shouldn't the universal translator pick up the Spanish and translate it to English?" Yeah, you're right, it probably should. I don't know why it doesn't. But anyway, please understand that the game script is doing this, this isn't me adding it in to add some spice.

But ... see, here's the weird thing. Can you name another Mass Effect character that's hispanic?

There's actually four. Everyone who's played ME3 through just named off a spoiler character, we're not going to talk about that guy yet. Name another. Hey, MSPaint has a feature where it'll add arrows to pictures, why don't you use an arrow to point out the hispanic characters?

 photo mar9_zps7523ebab.png

Sort of! Steven Hackett was born in Buenos Aires and, so far as I can tell, spent his childhood there. But look at his ass, he's sheet white. I think it was more of a John McCain sort of thing. Name another character.

 photo mar10_zpsa2e1e7b5.png

Hey, good thinking! Bioware hasn't ever really confirmed what Ashley's race/heritage is, I don't think, but she was raised in Brazil and she's got a rad tan, so I think 'hispanic' is a fair inference. There's one other beloved hispanical MSPixel character, though, try and guess who he is.

 photo mar11_zps9c4a952c.png

I know it's hard to tell from my photorealistic rendering, but Husbando~ is biracial, and one of those bi parts is from Columbia.

Is Vega adding so much Spanish in his speech a fair repressentation? I'm white, I don't feel like I should get an opinion. Sometimes I ask husbando~ though, since this is his turf. It kind of depends, sometimes he'll tell you:

 photo mar12_zps33ebfe0a.png

And sometimes he's more on the train of:

 photo mar13_zpsac0e63a8.png

So I'm not sure what husbando~ thinks once and for all. I don't know there is an answer, since there's, like, more than one hispanic person in the world and they probably all have their own opinions and sometimes they disagree and shit. I just want you all to know that I'll do what I can to be respectful about Vega's Spanish.

... that wasn't a joke though, husbando~ had to translate a lot of Mass Effect 3 for me.

Anyway, let's land the shuttle on Mars.

 photo mar14_zps2ca34896.png

What? Mars is red.

Did anyone promise you good art? No one promised you good art.

As Shepard, Ashley and Vega go along the martian landscape, they come on some Cerberus soldiers.

 photo mar15_zps120f4d77.png

 photo mar16_zpsb0c70921.png

 photo mar17_zps13148bc6.png

 photo mar18_zps7a2124ab.png

I have literally no idea how to play this section, because I play vanguard, the single greatest class Bioware has ever made. (Rogue? Ffft. Dragon Age needs vanguards.)

 photo mar19_zps763ccca5.png

 photo mar20_zpsba2f9c96.png

 photo mar21_zpsecb82fc8.png

 photo mar22_zps97068764.png

This conversation changes, I'm sure, if you did Ashley in ME1. There's a lot on Mars that changes if you did Ashley in ME1. ... I'm just not 100% what all of it is.

There's actually a lot that changes on Mars depending on who you did on ME1! However, I did no one, because I'm boring. We'll just have to trudge forward.

NEXT TIME: another, better introduction

1 comment:

  1. Speaking as a Skinny-Mexican-Irish-American-Fair Trade Blend Cappuccino from the Border with Mexico: We really do speak that way. So maybe we don't drop "loco" in every other sentence, but it's a rare occasion that I don't slip into a half-English, half-Spanish sentence in a conversation.

    ReplyDelete