Saturday, September 7, 2013

SATURDAY POST: Why is Deception So Bad?

So we've started Deception, and it is shitty. But why?

"Well, it's got a bunch of canon mistakes in it," everyone always answers. I mean, that's true, it does. Here's the thing you can't see through me MSPainting Kai Leng giving the finger to the Trix Rabbit: it's just full stop a shitty book.

If you strip out all of the stuff that's Mass Effecty, it's still a shitball. It's poorly written. I would willingly believe this was a draft that got published, both because Bioware obviously didn't fact check it and because it has moments when it's almost incomprehensible. I had to read whole passages out loud to decypher them, and Husbando~'s skin would crawl any time he had to overhear it.

Since I'm reading on my iPad, I'm able to screenshot awful passages and present them to you. Here, this is a good example of the rest of the book:

... you know, I'm not a good writer, but I think I can edit this into something more readable:

Atmosphere was rushing out, taking anything unsecured with it. A batarian pushed a hatch open, causing the suction to grow more intense. When both crews opened fire, they found relief from the sucking, even if they had a new problem to worry about.

Gillian couldn't hear any gunfire thanks to the vaccuum, but the orders coming over the comm were clear.

That's not great, but it's a shit ton better. That's without me adding any details, too. ("Gillian saw a batarian grab a hatch in her peripheral vision. She braced herself, knowing that the suction was about to increase tenfold.") I actually considered a contest where we all take a shot at rewriting a section of Deception, but how would we judge? Anything any of us come up with would be better!

Sometimes the writing is just dumb for a fifth grade level book, much less one for adults:

Imagine yourself right now sitting in front of twenty-five kindergarteners reading that on cardboard pages. "That was very surprising, because McCann was dead!" you'd say in your best Mother Maggie voice, verbally inserting a comma where there was none.

Deception, by the way, got plenty of heat for the numerous typos within the book. I promise I'm not one of those "EVERYTHING MUST BE TYPED TO MY HIGH EXPECTATIONS" sorts you find on social media, the ones who get their panties in a wad over the Oxford comma, but there's some shit in this book that I learned not to do in the fourth grade:

1. And, Like, and Because do not start sentences.

2. I get that you can use sentence fragments sometimes, especially when you're a blogger with a smart mouth writing colloquially, but come the fuck on.

3 comments:

  1. I'm pretty sure that author failed basic English. Maybe the book was written by an ESL class as a final project?

    ReplyDelete
  2. "That was very surprising because McCann was dead!" made me loose it. Oh my GOD that's horrendous. You poor poor woman. Thank you for read this wreck of a novel for us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. god you could make an entire blog just posting commentary page-by-page

    ReplyDelete