Wednesday, April 10, 2013

DLC: Project Overlord

 photo ove1_zpsf62ebc8e.png

 photo ove2_zps139c4ba9.png

 photo ove3_zps83827da2.png

 photo ove4_zps7327a7d8.png

 photo ove5_zps94bf8a9e.png

 photo ove6_zps3f7513da.png

 photo ove7_zpsa6df3d3d.png

In the Mass Effect universe, quarians and turians have DNA based on dextro-amino acids, versus our levo-amino acids. So says the writers, dextro and levo folk can't eat the same foods, lest they risk an allergic reaction. (Such is the root of Mordin's semen swallowing joke.)

In real life, whatever they were ingesting would just pass through and be gleefully shit out.

 photo ove8_zps9765d354.png

 photo ove9_zpsa705e888.png

 photo ove10_zpsd98e058b.png

 photo ove11_zps7fdd3ec7.png

Today, let us visit the DLC Project Overlord, which I keep misspelling as Project Overloard. I'd actually never played it before! I did it just for you all, because I love you dearly.

... and, to be quite frank, if it weren't for MSPixel, I'm not sure it would be worth it. I wouldn't be doing this at all if it weren't DLC, this plot is some thin shit. It plays a lot like a Mass Effect 1 sidequest. I got it for free, though, true story! It's like the best kept secret on the Internet that Bing Rewards will give you free XBox Live points. You can use my referral link or not, either way's fine. ... sorry PC and PS3 folk, I have no idea how to get you all free DLC.

Okay! So! Overlord! Allegedly, this DLC starts with an email, but I got no such document. I just rolled up to the site and hit A. ... sorry, PC and PS3 folk, I have no idea what button you all would hit.

 photo ove12_zps7ce0aa18.png

Surprise, a Cerberus project went haywire. This guy, who goes by the name of Dr. Archer, sounds pretty srs business, so maybe we ought to look into --

 photo ove13_zps44894597.png

WOW. FUCK. That's loud! Is that the VI? With all Cerberus' funding, y'all couldn't find a way to put a volume control on that thing?

So, let's go along --

 photo ove14_zpsb72cb1a4.png

-- why are there geth in this facility? Why would Cerberus have a bunch of cray ass geth running around?

When Shepard rolls up to the dish, the controls are behind some explosive crates. The hell kind of safety measure is that?

 photo ove15_zpsc254a38e.png

Okay, check this. Shepard blows up all the crates, thus busting the satellite and interrupting the VI from uploading itself somewhere. So shit's all falling all over, exploding, it is totally a Michael Bay movie.

 photo ove16_zps387f88d6.png

This beam falls behind Shepard, right?

 photo ove17_zps01b8ccbf.png

Shepard pulls her gun on it! SHEPARD FUCKING PULLS HEAT ON IT. It's a fucking beam, damn! Have I mentioned Shepard's my favorite character? She is.

So once Shepard's done threatening the infrastructure, everyone leaps on the catwalks to safety.

 photo ove18_zps957ba252.png

 photo ove19_zpsef6e193f.png

 photo ove20_zps7dc7b827.png

 photo ove21_zpseb465ecd.png

 photo ove22_zpsc72bce7d.png

 photo ove21_zpseb465ecd.png

Full disclosure: if we're going to keep going on this, you probably need to know that part of my job involves working with children with autism, sooooooo this kind of hits a little close for me. Some of my best little bros and little broettes live with autism.

Ahem, I only know one response.

 photo ove23_zps47709fb5.png

The correct terminology, by the way, is "[subject] with autism," in this case, "brother with autism", instead of "autistic brother". I promise I won't get mad if you forget, because I don't think someone saying "autistic brother" means anything mean by it, but the game keeps using the terminology "brother's autistic mind." That's so totally weird that I'm not even sure it's offensive. Then again, Dr. Archer doesn't strike me as Mr. Totally Caring Brother, so maybe we'll throw Bioware a bone.

Kinda sitting here wondering why the poor kid with autism is the one we're picking out to interface with a robot, though! Pretty sure that one's not okay!

 photo ove24_zpsc848ae7a.png

That one doesn't really happen, but I can dream.

NEXT TIME: I take it down a notch, I promise

5 comments:

  1. oh my god you have no idea how grateful I am to see someone else taking issue with Project Overlord.

    (Given your line of work, I don't recommend reading the novels [I mean, I don't recommend reading them anyway, but especially not if you have even the vaguest knowledge of what autism is]...)

    I'm autistic, so Overlord was, uh, really not fun. Particularly the end bits. But if anything can redeem it for me, you and your awesome Shepard can!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Overlord has the one choice that I remember telling my husband (before we got married) that there is only one correct choice and if he chooses to not rescue David we weren't getting married. XD I love my renegade Shep to death but there is a difference between "renegade" and "scum" and saying "here of course you can keep him!" puts you firmly in Scum Camp.

    Archer's fixation with "his autistic mind" just really drove home the fact that he couldn't even be bothered to see his brother as an actual person. The fact that I didn't have an option to punt him off a catwalk made me very angry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. An evil insensitive bastard with the surname Archer...huh. Maybe a descendant of this... person: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeffrey_Archer

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know this is a way old post, but most of autistics actually prefer to use identity first language, e.g. "autistic" not person with autism. This post has some good links about why: http://neurowonderful.tumblr.com/post/96198665556/just-curious-why-do-you-identify-yourself-as

    ReplyDelete