Saturday, August 24, 2013

SATURDAY POST: DragonCon 2012

(I didn't forget about the contest. Midnight! EST! I'll be there!)

I should have posted about DragonCon 2012 much earlier, but I didn't. Next weekend I'll be in Atlanta, so let's do this.

But, since this is a serious video game blog with serious video game art, you probably want to hear about the serious Mass Effect stuff I did, and not, say, Hentai Night, or the time I met a Dr. Who and held the door for him and did not know he was a Dr. Who until my friend ran up to me and shat kittens.

 photo dc3_zps1ba8c92a.png

So imagine, if you will, myself and Husbando~ walking through the parking garage of a hotel in Atlanta one fine Labor Day weekend.

(I know I usually draw us naked as stick figures, but the shirt Husbando is wearing figures into this story, like so:)

 photo dc4_zps2d8c5713.png

 photo dc5_zps8fb851d8.png

There was a Mass Effect cosplay photoshoot, kindly hosted by a group on Facebook called the N7 Elite Costume Group. They're good people, go check them out. Actually, if I can run on a tangent here, if you're doing any kind of cosplay, check Cosplay.com's schedule and see if you can get to a photoshoot. They're too fun to miss.

Anyway, I needed a costume. I showed you that one I sewed last year. I actually 100% remade it this year, because last year's was too big. Trivia for you. I didn't want to use my real hair, so I went looking for a wig. I wanted an orange one, like MSPixel orange, but I couldn't find one at all. (Someone's going to say Arda Wigs, but they're all styled a little too animu~ for the Mass Effect universe, I think.)

 photo dc2_zps233c951c.png

I finally found a good real-red one and decided to be Default Mass Effect 3 Shepard. You know, New Jane instead of Old Jane?

 photo dc1_zpsc07d6dd7.png

Not too bad.

... oh, man, I need to get that wig out and brush it, I've got to use it again this year.

HEY, BEFORE WE GO ON: From this point forward, there are Mass Effect 3 spoilers. I figure you all have finished it by now, but you never know, so this is your warning.

The N7 Elite group marches in the DragonCon parade every year. If you EVER go to DragonCon, you get yourself a costume and you hike in that parade, do you understand me? That's the best part of every year. Oh my goodness. However, Husbando~ and I always march in the Star Trek part of the parade, so we'll skip ahead to the actual Mass Effect stuff.

The Bioware panel was right before the shoot, so most of us caught that first. It went exactly as you'd expect a bunch of Bioware nerds in a room to act.

 photo dc_zps64fbda32.png

That's the best Isabella I got, kids.

Speaking of, there were some amazing costumes, but this is MSPixel, I can't draw, and so I apologize in advance if I take your costume and make it look crappy.

After, we all decided to meet up and walk together to the shoot. I found some of my Internet friends!

 photo dc6_zps3b7cdd55.png

One was dressed as Liara, the other was Alternative Outfit Ashley.

Oh, and also? Mark Meer was there!

 photo dc7_zps9a0d9244.png

... that's supposed to be Mark Meer. You guys know I can't draw, have mercy.

We all figured we'd follow him to the photoshoot, but, uh.

 photo dc8_zpsc38d6f99.png

So we followed Zaeed up to the photoshoot area. It was neat, we'd all stand at the sidelines and the lady running it would say, "I NEED ALL THE MERCENARIES, MERCENARIES TO THE STAGING AREA," or "SHEPARDS, I NEED ALL THE SHEPARDS," and if you fit, it was your job to go get your picture taken in the group.

There were amazing aliens there!

 photo dc9_zps56c3102e.png

The girl that went as Wrex needs a medal.

You might have seen on some websites (I think like 7500 nerd sites carried this story) that a couple dressed up as synthesis ending EDI and Joker and brought their own little Baby EDI.

 photo dc10_zpsbe40fd73.png

I got to tickle Baby EDI's toes.

Oh man! That must be your jealous face!

The face model for Samara and Morinth is famous for showing up to this stuff dressed as Samara as well.

 photo dc13_zpscfb5d26d.png

Also, she is hilarious. (Say it out loud if you don't get it.)

 photo dc11_zps701853bc.png

Being in the Alliance photo was probably my favorite. I met a really nice James Vega and helped him with his mohawk.

The photoshoot was cool in that, for an hour, I got to live in a world where asari and krogans and salarians were real, or at least as real as they're going to be. There's a certain kind of magic to that, you know?

DragonCon does a big Georgia Aquarium party each year, it's really neat. I went in my Shepard costume.

 photo dc12_zpsb9df9510.png

There's also a certain kind of magic to being Shepard around fish as well.

 photo dc14_zps446d7586.png

 photo dc15_zps63e87526.png

That's ... that's supposed to be Snow and Lightning. I promise.

But, all good stuff has to come to an end, I guess.

 photo dc16_zps58081dc9.png

Husbando~ went as a Niner because he is a huge nerd.

 photo dc17_zpsb861e00e.png

That's my friend Tracey dressed as Castiel. I don't watch that show, so I don't know if Castiel has wings, I just didn't want you to think Tracey was dressed as a pervert in a trench coat.

Oh, one last thing.

 photo 5372981E-3B0F-44BC-854D-23B2E6FDC8A0-9925-00000EEF82E5B006_zpsa9d67dd2.jpg

We wanted Mark Meer's autograph, but didn't have anything else for him to sign. Mr. Meer is incredibly sweet, if you were wondering.

Anyway, this time next week? I'll be among krogans and asari again! I can't wait!

3 comments:

  1. Oh god that sounds so fun! Do you have any pictures?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did...did you just make a Drop Dead Diva joke? Do you want that show? Do you HATE this season?

    I got to take my photo with Mark and (omg I forgot her name!) Samara's face model at their booth. They were so incredibly nice!

    I'm also stoked because I get to go to the ME photoshoot! Except I didn't have time to make a HAPA: Princess Ed shirt. Boo... I guess I'll just have to yell BEAN BUNNY really loudly till I either find you or get booted out. :D

    ReplyDelete