Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Redemption: Dead, Yes, But Not Red.

You know, I've never played the game in the title, and I probably should. You know, sometime when I'm not playing Mass Effect. ... or Pokemon Black. Fuck that game, that game is too hard. That's right, I said it.

Last time on MSPixel, we spent some quality time with Liara, and then Liara told us she spent some quality time with Shepard's dead body. Not like that. Probably not like that that.

Mass Effect: Redemption is the most important piece of media outside of the three games, since it directly answers the question, "What the fuck with Shepard's dead body?" It was published in January of 2010, and was written by Bioware Poet Laureate Mac Walters.

Let us start our adventure into Redemption by checking on Liara, who's just chillaxing in Afterlife sometime after Shepard's death, but before her resurrection. During Mass Effect Lent, if you will.

Photobucket

(Liara might have the most costume changes out of all the characters in the series, and I'm counting Shepard in there.)

Photobucket

Sounds like a good idea, let's trail him!

Photobucket

Feron is an alien we haven't encountered yet. Wave hello to the drell, everyone! Bioware made the asari as a parody of the Star Trek green women. To be fair, they then polled several women to try and come up with an alien that straight women would appreciate. I have no clue how the hell they came up with a frog man alien. See, and here's the thing: I'm like the only chick I've ever met that's not like, "Oh, rad, I would do the hell out of a drell." My ovaries are broken, I guess.

Point being, Feron is a super hot frog alien dude.

This took a weird turn. Hey, Feron, what do you know about Shepard?

Photobucket

Photobucket

Well! That's new.

Photobucket

Here's another example of a random ass sniper just chillaxin in the open and no one giving a shit. This is Omega, though, so I guess we get a pass here. This is me making shit up, but I'd love to pretend the sniper that helps Liara out is really Garrus.

Liara and Feron fight them off and run away, and right smack in to:

Photobucket

Miranda! Wow! I'll be honest, I had no idea Miranda was in this comic book, I was all, D: :D when I found her.

Miranda wants Shepard's body too, and would like Liara's help, but first, Liara's going to have to meet someone.

Photobucket

More than a little stoked to draw someone else in The Illusive Man's hologram, gotta be honest.

The Illusive Man goes over what you and I already know: the Shadow Broker has Shepard's body, and is trying to sell it to the collectors. The why is missing, but who cares? Selling dead bodies is gross. The Shadow Broker should not do gross things, it does not befit one who ... brokes shadows. Breaks shadows. Something.

And yeah, we also know what Brother Tim wants with Shepard's body, but Liara doesn't.

Photobucket

So now we've got our task: go after the Shadow Broker, get Shep's body, deliver it to Cerberus.

At this point in the story, Liara somehow figures out that Feron works for the Shadow Broker. If I knew how she came up with that, I'd tell you. She kind of pulls it out of thin air and he agrees with her, so rad, Feron's a Shadow Broker agent.

Since we're on Omega, I think we all know where to go for information. Or dead bodies.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Fun fact: Mass Effect Incursion was written just to explain the one panel where Aria flips over the collectors.

Aria says that Shepard's body is in the lower levels of Omega, guarded by a gaggle of Blue Suns.

Photobucket

Anyway, Liara, being an asari, deals with these sorts of things in the usual way:

Photobucket

Despite her best efforts, the Blue Suns manage to shuttle off with Shepard. Luckily, Feron has a ship that looks legally distinct from the Millennium Falcon, so they dash off Shepard's casket in that.

Photobucket

I have no idea how I've gotten this far without drawing nor discussing a mass relay.

Okay, that big ass blue looking hair pin? If you're a space ship in the Mass Effect universe, that's what you use to zip around the universe. It's ... it's warp drive. See, and those huge ass bastards are supposed to be the reason we're calling the fucking series Mass Effect. I've avoided even talking about them until nearly halfway through the entire damn story and I could have kept going if I damn well felt like it. They're a minor part of the ending. That's it.

I've said this before, and I don't care: they didn't call it "Warp Drive", they called it "Star Trek." They didn't call it "Weird Ass Tubes That We're Only Going To Use In The Pilot," they called it "Futurama." They didn't call it "Nerd Tears," they called it "Star Wars." WHY IN THE HELL are we pretending "Mass Effect" is a good or even okay name?

Horse Anus Spelunking Adventure. I'm just saying. It is exactly as valid a series title.

So anyway, once Feron and Liara are finished using the mass relay horse anus fuck it I don't care, they land at the Shadow Broker's base. Feron is a slick bastard, he tricks the turian guards into letting him past.

Photobucket

There's a neat little sequence in the Shadow Broker base where Liara sees a collector for the first time.

Photobucket

It's not much more than that, even though maybe there's more detail in the art. Maybe.

Anyway, Feron leads Liara to this room in the middle of the base.

Photobucket

Photobucket

(I think this is the only green hologram in the series. I guess you can pony up for that sort of thing when you're the damn Shadow Broker.)

Feron slips off while Liara asks exactly what you and I were wondering.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Liara tears everyone a new asshole, and the Shadow Broker's hologram is destroyed. You can do that with mass effects. I guess. Feron takes her aside.

Photobucket

... a bitch says what?

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Aww. Wonder where Bioware's going with this one?

It's Bioware, you think about that.

Feron's got one last trick up his sleeve to get Liara's trust. He tells her to go hide, and rolls right up to where Shepard's body is being sold.

Photobucket

God, okay, and you all wish I was being cute, but Harbinger is legit caressing Shepard's casket in this scene. I'm TRYING to pretend that the Shadow Broker isn't selling Shepard's dead body off as if it were some sort of fucked up sex toy, but how? I fucking hate when I'm right.

Photobucket

Photobucket

The final scene is Liara and Miranda watching Cerberus operate on Shepard.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

NEXT TIME: More fucked up alien sex. Because this is Mass Effect.

I love how I just said that and you still have no idea what mission we're doing next time.

2 comments:

  1. Damn, I really do love these. XD

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would not do the hell out of a drell.

    Turian? Probably.

    ReplyDelete