Friday, June 22, 2012

Feros: The Foreshadowing Planet

Ugh, you guys. At first I was like, "Ugh, you guys, Feros is the most boringest planet in the game. How am I going to MSPaint it?"

And then I played it, and I was like, "Ugh, YOU GUYS! There's a lot of shit going on during Feros!"

Mass Effect 1 arguably has the best written plot of the three games. (I say arguably because, despite that one little bump in the road that you've surely heard about, ME3 has a hell of an everything going for it.) The plot is, at least, the tightest here. Feros actually uses, like, I don't know, literary devices and shit to set up the plot for the rest of the three games. If you're totally new, you're going to wonder what the fuck, but if you've played Mass Effect before? Hold on to your ass, Fred!

So Shep and crew land on this place called Feros, right? There's a colony called Zhu's Hope. Weird shit's been going on, and Anderson wanted them to check it out. The place is legit crawling with geth. But why geth? What would a geth guy want with some random ass colonists? First, Shepard goes and talks to Fai Dan, the leader of Zhu's Hope, who's all like, "Yup, weird shit."

And Shepard's like, "So, why weird shit?"

And Fai Dain's like, "Don't ask me, jack. If there's anything weird going on, it probably has to do with the ExoGeni corporation."

ExoGeni ... I don't know, I think it's their job to print money or something. They have GAZILLIONS of dollars. They've set up in this tower just outside of Zhu's hope so they can ... I don't know, convert all their money into pennies and swim in it, and if Shep wants answers, she's going to have to cross the skybridge to get there.

And what do we cross bridges in?

~*THE MAKO!*~

Oh, but my loins, they quiver in joy!

Photobucket

So anyway, after driving the mako off the skybridge like six times, you find a hole in the ground, and you get out of the mako and go down it. I think we've learned by now that not everything in this game makes perfect sense, so let's let it be.

Down the hole, there's some ExoGeni guys hiding. They reveal to you that the tower is crawling with geth, but why, they do not know. One is Ethan, and he's ... he's not a balanced guy. He threatens everyone he sees, and insists, nay, demands that Shepard only clear the geth out of the ExoGeni building. There's valuable data there, don't you know! He needs it! That's totally not a hint, kids.

Another lady, Juliana, says her daughter's in the building, and could Shepard please bring her back? Shepard promises to look into it.

Shepard doesn't have to look hard, since she runs smack into Juliana's daughter Lisbeth like, right upon entry. Jesus, couldn't Juliana take care of that one herself?

Lisbeth says that the geth are there after the thorian, a sentient plant native to Theros. Now, everyone hold the fuck up here: can plants be sentient? Like, at what point do we say, "Oh, shit, no, that thing's actually an animal, thanks?" According to WikiAnswers, which should be used to diagnose all scientific questions, of course, if it can think, it's probably an animal. So what the hell, Mass Effect?

It is probably defined as a plant because it has taken root in my back yard and I can't kill it. My weeds suck, you all.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Now, let us take a moment to have some story time with Auntie McBean. I played this game in tandem with my husband. He grew up playing games like Goldeneye and, his forever favorite, Perfect Dark. If you give him guns, his logic is that you want lots of gun power, pow pow pow. As he was making his way through Mass Effect, he first picked soldier Shep, and took Ashley everywhere. I think he took Wrex, too.

I grew up playing Final Fantasies, and my forever favorite, Chrono Trigger. My video game logic is such that you have to bring along different people of different specialties, mostly so that you can be ready for anything you can encounter, and also so that you can level up your guys evenly, so if you need someone later, you're not shot in the foot. (The correct Mass Effect strategy is somewhere in between the two of us.) That's why I initially picked vanguard, actually: blue space magic sounded nice, but I figured I needed some points in the "GUNS" stat that by the way doesn't exist. So, when I formed parties, I'd always try to have one person who was good at tech and one person who was good at biotics. When Liara first came onto the scene, I saw my opportunity to raise my black mage, while he didn't see enough gun power and promptly put her away.

So, the first time I played Feros, I had Liara in my party. (With Garrus. You know, gotta have a tech guy.) As you progress through the ExoGeni tower, you come upon another Krogan Battlemaster.

He starts into, "Oh, man, this guy is hard! Okay, so you get over there, and tell Garrus to take cover over -- "

Then this happened.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

No, seriously, I did not lay a finger on the krogan guy. There was just ... blue, and then floating, and then dead.

And now, for your evening's entertainment, an MSPaint version of what happened in our living room right after.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Even the cat was freaked out, you guys.

The krogan was trying to access ExoGeni's resident VI. The Mass Effect universe uses VIs when they don't think the datapads look cool enough. They're computers in the form of holographic people that you can talk to. The VI talks to Shepard because it thinks Shepard is Lisbeth. It reveals that Saren's after the thorian, and that ExoGeni was testing the thorian out on Zhu's Hope without them knowing.

Photobucket

Yeah, fantastic. So, as Shep and Crew fight their way through the tower, they discover that the geth have actually physically anchored a ship through the tower.

What?

Fuck you, that's really hard to draw. Are you really going to ... ?

Fuck. Fine. Okay, look, here's, like ... here's a tower thing ...

Photobucket

And ... I don't know, the geth ship is all cozied up to it, and there's some shit on the side ...

Photobucket

And ... there. This is the anchor.

Photobucket

Anyway, the crew discovers that the geth very politely threw their anchor through a cargo hatch. If they can get the hatch to close on the geth anchor, it'll sever it and the ship will fall off the tower. Shepard does this through a mini game about math.

Photobucket

Photobucket

We did that with math. Those mythbusting bastards don't got shit on Shepard.

By the way, in classic Bioware game form, a small part of the story is told through text. Shepard finds a computer terminal in this part of the game that mentions that ExoGeni is funded by Cerberus. Cerberus?! Why, they must have scads of money to do evil things! Let's hope we never meet those bastards.

Shepard and crew exit the tower, find Lisbeth, and have a spot of tea and a delightful chat.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Let's back the fuck up here. First off, the thorian is totally weed.

Second off, this means that ExoGeni is trying to mind control colonists without their permission. Not cool, ExoGeni! Shit, I wonder what would happen if Cerberus found out? What a dick thing to do to humans! (Remember, in the Mass Effect universe, who you pull shit on is just as significant as what shit you pull.)

Third, HOLY SHIT SAREN WANTS MIND CONTROL WEED. He's probably going to get us all high as balls mind control us! Who knows why, but he's the bad guy, so it's not for good reasons! We need to get back to Zhu's Hope right now!

Photobucket

Halfway back, Lisbeth runs out of the car (oh thanks bitch), and down the hole to the ExoGeni scientists. Remember them? She reunites there with her mom.

Remember the other guy? Ethan? Yeah, he ain't lookin' so hot right now.

Photobucket

He starts talking about doin' shit, man, not good shit, either. The colonists are all infected with the thorian. Purge the colonists! Purge the whole colony!

The game gives you some choices here. The first time I played this moment is going to be stuck in my head for the rest of my life, I swear.

See, I didn't have enough charm points to pick the blue option. (The game sometimes gives dialog options color coded in red or blue, if you've got enough paragon or renegade or charm or intimidate as it were. The red and blue options are usually the best way to get through a scenario.) I very nervously picked the nicest regular option, and:

Photobucket

"Shepard!" I shouted out loud, and totally surprised myself. Holy shit, I sounded like I was five years old, whining at her for shooting a guy.

Also, why the hell was I talking to a TV? Jesus, self, video game.

But, that was when I realized that I was really into this game. It wasn't going to be the sort that I'd put down and walk away from.

I always regretted not saving Ethan, though. I mean, it'd bugged me across three games. So this time, I poured points into charm, and picked the blue option, ready to fix what I broke:

Photobucket

I'm not kidding, the blue option is Shepard discussing all of the marketing that Ethan could do if he kept the colonies around. Yeah, I was pretty Photobucket too.

I have no idea which option I prefer. I mean ... shit.

Either way, Lisbeth comes up with another idea: they can deal with the colonists that are infected with thorian via gas grenades. Throw a grenade at a colonist, and it makes them pass out.

The game gives you a choice: you can either shoot the colonists or use the grenades. Shooting is the easy way out, but, um, civilians, yo. Using the grenades is hard as nuts, but at least it's nice?

Whatever you do, at the end of it, Fai Dan comes back around. Remember that guy? He rolls up on you and does something that spoils the ending of the game so hard that I'm going to just write over it, just like I'm doing now. Wheeee~~~~

Next time: we find a sentient plant, and then things get weird.

No comments:

Post a Comment