Wednesday, July 10, 2013

The Biotic Bubble

Before we do anything! THERE IS MSPIXEL FAN ART TO ATTEND TO.

The obviously sexy and well-groomed @Buildabearatron, an actual factual art student, drew this for us:

 photo BOmsubgCAAAZDN-_zpse17c6212.png

I love the entire thing, but I nearly fell out of my chair when I realized Miranda was sewing Shepard's asshole back in. Buildabearatron's website is Long Siesta, and I'm assuming he won't mind the plug.

And now, the rest of today's entry.

 photo sm57_zps753091b7.png

It's our anniversary, and husbando~ said this to me when he saw last time's MSPixel, so I felt it fair to let him explain himself.

 photo sm58_zps7e03723e.png

... and I felt it fair to post my reply to him, too.

Okay, so who's coming with us under the biotic bubble with us?

 photo sm59_zps29584aad.png

I'll talk about this in a second, but if you're not rolling with Legion and Tali under the bubble, you're working too hard.

 photo sm61_zpsd4952a91.png

Did anyone else think this was shitty of Shepard? "Hey, the seeker swarms will kill us. So anyway, y'all have fun running through the seeker swarms, which will kill you, while we stay under the nice safe bubble." Just take everyone!

While group B stays and drinks hot cocoa, I swear.

By the way, the game asks you to make this choice. I always pick Garrus because I can remember him, but Jacob and Miranda will work too. Anyone else eats it.

So, the bubble.

 photo sm62_zps2ffc4b2c.png

This part is the original Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles for Game Cube. Holy shit that game was amazing. Anyone else play it? I always went selkie.

Jack generates this huge thing of biotic power that the seeker swarms can't penetrate because ... uh, space magic. She's busy, though, so the fighting is left to Shepard, Legion and Tali.

Meanwhile, Shepard, Legion and Tali can walk through the bubble because ... uh, space magic, but don't do that. The seekers will overtake you. And whatever you do? Don't charge out of the bubble. Learned that one the hard way.

However!

 photo sm63_zps9184ca23.png

Legion's drone and Chiktika can penetrate the bubble because ... uh, space magic, so just let them slip through and do all the hard shit. Easy. I mean, after that, you can toss out the occasional pull, and --

 photo sm64_zpsc74198f0.png

 photo sm65_zps4aece4df.png

 photo sm66_zpsb1df7957.png

This happened while I was replaying this part for MSPixel. No joke.

So once you reach the end, Jack takes care of the seekers for you.

 photo sm67_zpsa49bba22.png

 photo sm68_zps30941b74.png

 photo sm69_zps7fa42082.png

 photo sm70_zps727dc67c.png

Whoever lead the second team gets shot.

... when did the seeker swarms get guns? Or did Garrus get friendly fired?

 photo sm71_zpsbb3b819c.png

Miranda, Jacob and Garrus will survive the gut bullet, though, and get up like it ain't a thing.

 photo sm72_zps3893f125.png

 photo sm73_zps3ce53ba5.png

 photo sm74_zps2973aa76.png

... does anyone else wonder about this? Like, first of all, the Normandy must broadcast the strongest LTE signal in the universe for Joker to be able to make all of these crystal clear calls to this uncharted ship that no one's ever survived on. And then? It's an UNCHARTED SHIP, how are we mysteriously charting it all of a sudden?

 photo sm75_zpsc1f8d468.png

Stay with me for a second, the game does some fucked up math.

The game assigns each character a number. Garrus, Zaeed and Grunt are the highest numbers (I think they get a 4, but I'm not sure) while Kasumi, Jack, Tali and Mordin are lowest on the scale. If the characters are loyal, the game will give that character a bonus. The game then adds up all the characters. If you've got enough defense points, everyone lives. If you don't, the game starts offing people, starting with anyone unloyal and then prioritizing Mordin, Tali, Kasumi, Jack, Miranda, Jacob, Garrus, Samara, Legion, Thane, Zaeed, Grunt.

Don't do math, though, math sucks. If you want to save everyone, there's an easy way to do it:

  • Send Mordin back with the crew to the Normandy. If he's not on the line the game can't kill him.
  • Have at least Garrus, Zaeed or Grunt on the line and loyal. One of the three is usually enough to jack the defense score high enough to where you don't have to worry. If you've got two loyal, the game won't kill anyone. We've got all three loyal, we are golden.
  • Take either Kasumi, Jack or Tali with you to the final battle, assuming they're loyal. If they're not loyal, leave them on the line and hope that Grunt will take a bullet for them

It's possible to have a character survive being on the line while not being loyal by the way, you've just got to have a loyal Garrus/Zaeed/Grunt around to run interference with them. The first time I played, I didn't have Miranda's loyalty and she was fine. If you bring someone unloyal with Shepard, they will die.

I always bring Jack and Kasumi. Tali's a big girl, she's got Chiktikka. ... and Zaeed.

 photo sm76_zps685fe9d9.png

If Mass Effect 2 was being made today, this is totally where the dude you was doin' would say something. Lie to me, tell me I'm wrong.

 photo sm77_zps4e0063a2.png

 photo sm78_zps7afc0066.png

NEXT TIME: I think I can end this shit in one entry! Let's see!

3 comments:

  1. Awesome fanart! And on the topic of forgetting that the game has guns, Mass Effect 3 is even worse. Charge then Nova, and you'll never need anything else again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was new to shooters and tactics when ME came out so I just went soldier, it seemed like the simplest. However, this means I have opposite problem and try to shoot everything when I have biotics. Doh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I finally caught up! Thank you mucho, Bean, for keeping me sane during a day full of boring orientation being boring. Super boring. I was going to die boring. But this blog kept me laughing quietly to myself the entire time. My sanity escaped intact. (I caught up on this two days ago, but the comment form wasn't working, so...)

    ReplyDelete